Forgotten to file your Expat tax returns?

It is okay; catching up is easy with Mir Taxes

We can put you back in the IRS’s good books.

Falling behind on your tax returns when living abroad is more common than you think. We know because we have helped many Expat Americans catch up using the IRS’s Streamlined Foreign Offshore Procedure (SFOP).

Catching up on multiple years of returns can seem like an impossible task, but our expert and friendly advisors are here to help. We can electronically file some or all of your reports to the IRS, saving you time and money. Contact us today to discuss your circumstances and whether you meet the conditions for forgiveness – and what happens if you don’t.  

U.S. Expat touring a vineyard harvest in Italy

Why work with Mir Taxes

Expert advice, every time

We know what you need to file and when—no overpayments or underpayments. Our qualified tax advisors are experienced and knowledgeable in all areas of tax reporting.

Reduced contact with the IRS

Avoid lengthy delays in having your return finalized. We ensure that all forms are completed before submitting them to the IRS for forgiveness. No missed documents, under-reporting; everything is clear and concise. We aim to keep you and the IRS happy.

Save Time and Money

Filing multiple years of tax returns can take time, especially if you are unsure what you need to report. We know exactly what needs to be filed and when – saving you time and money.

Personalized service

Every situation is different, and there is no one-size-fits-all approach when you choose us as your Tax Accountant. We listen, care, and advise based on your circumstance, not a case study.

We take the hassle out of filing for Americans living overseas with a comprehensive service that is easy to use and thoroughly explained. Common questions we are asked about SFOP include:

Whether it is the first time you have missed the file by date or the umpteenth, we can advise on your eligibility to use the streamlined service and the best course of action to take to set you back on the path of compliance.  

To qualify for filing using the Streamlined Filing Compliance, you have to meet specific criteria, including: 

  • Filing the last three years of tax returns, including all corresponding forms and the reporting of all worldwide income received.
  • Filing the current year’s tax return, including all corresponding forms.
  • Filing of the current and past six years of Foreign Bank Account Reporting (FBAR).
  • Completing and filing Form 14653: Certification by a U.S. Person residing outside of the U.S. Included with this form is a certification of reasoning for non-filing to determine non-willfulness. To meet the non-willful criteria, you must declare that non-filing was not due to negligence or intentionally failing to file. Penalties apply if the IRS deems your forgetfulness to be willful. 

We have the experience and knowledge to complete the compliance process and ensure that you receive all the deductions and rebates applicable to your situation. We can also assure you never miss another tax deadline again. 

In addition to the missing tax returns, Foreign Bank Account Reporting, and Declaration of non-willfulness (Form 14653), you will also need to complete:   

  • End of year salary reporting from your employer/s. If self-employed, an income statement of revenue and expenses.
  • Bank statements and statements of income from investments.
  • A summary of any rental income and expenses.
  • Copies of tax returns filed from within your country of residence.
  • A valid Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN or ITIN) or Social Security number (SSN). If you are ineligible for an SSN but are eligible for an ITIN and don’t have one yet, you can still use the SFOP if you also submit an ITIN application at the same time. If you are ineligible for an SSN or a TIN, you will need to talk to the IRS directly about your situation. 

Failure to file your Expat American tax returns doesn’t have to become a federal offense.

Book an appointment today to discuss how we can help you catch up and ensure you are never late again. 

Ready to schedule a consultation?

Send us a message.

You are being asked to call at the time appointed. The phone number provided is in Belgium. Will you be calling from Europe or in the US? From the US, the number to call would be 1-919-960-1499.